Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Century Ago

Happy New Year! 

As we celebrate the dawn of 2012, I thought it would be interesting to take a look back 100 years ago (and no, I wasn’t around then :-)). 

1912calendar

Care to join me?  Let’s begin this journey of 1912 with some top headlines of the day...

The year kicked off with New Mexico becoming the 47th state on Jan. 6.

 ts

Shortly following, the union also gained Arizona on February 14.

Extra, Extra, Read All About It!

titanicnewsboyWord traveled speedily in the spring of 1912 with tragic news.

After a four day journey, the “unsinkable” Titanic hit an iceberg on April 14, sinking in the North Atlantic's frigid waters.  About 1500 lives were lost.

titanic1

titanic-index-image

The ocean liner Carpathia rescued just over 700 survivors, on April 15.

Titanic-lifeboat

In other major news of the year,

Republican Primary 1912

Taft and Roosevelt battled it out in the Republican primary.  However, Democrat Woodrow Wilson was elected as the 28th president of the United States in this three way race.

image

Famous people that were born in 1912 include:

Julia Child          Art Linkletter
Perry Como        Vivian Vance
Dale Evans         Gene Kelly

 

220px-WcbbustCBarton2Humanitarian and founder of the American Red Cross, Clara Barton, died at the age of 90 in 1912.

image

Beloved Canadian novelist, Lucy M. Montgomery’s Chronicles of Avonlea was published in 1912.  One of my favorites!

The_tale_of_mr_tod









The Tale of Mr. Tod, by Beatrix Potter was first published in 1912.  (Her complete works were a Christmas gift for my oldest daughter.  She was delighted!)

Also, Edgar Rice Burroughs’ creation “Tarzan of the Apes” was published in “All-Story Magazine”. (His book was published in 1914.)

Cars of 1912:

New-Parry-1912-2

Swiss-born-automobile-Louis Chevrolet sits in his prototype, which goes to production as the first Chevrolet in 1912.

1912-Ford-Model-T A 1912 Ford Model T—isn’t this family cute!

Music:

music1912-404x500image

This was the Ragtime dance era.

HalfmHalfW 

bunnyboy


Fashions of the times:

Picture 121

1041-FashionsOf1912

Weren’t these dresses lovely—so feminine, so modest, and so pretty.  Besides the obvious reasons of dressing modestly, it’s classy.
 
nouvellemode
1912_BT_WT_ver2_NYPL_trimmed2

You would pay about 9 cents for a quart of milk.

A gallon of gas was 18-21 cents.

A house would cost around 2000-5000 dollars.

An average income would be just over 14 dollars/week.

People and Places of 1912:

 

history-04
The Oregonian Building 1912 FSDM2
worldseries

 Above is a crowd gathered for the World Series. 

Lyndhurst_fair_1912_03
morrison-grocery-1912
roosevelt-1912Missoula-Christmas,-1912

sewing_class_1912_sprague_a titanic-survivors

   Titanic Survivors in picture above.


A few ads of the times:

1vofad0661ecfy

vintage-ivory-soap-ad1-316x450

187663911_0b20edabbf_o
1912 grapenut ad

Vintage Magazine Covers of 1912—what artwork!

aa
youths-companion-autumn-1912
The-Housewife-May-1912

191201a
litdigjune2212
Thanks for joining me! 

15 comments:

Esther Joy said...

I enjoyed the look back in time! My Mom was born in 1911, so this made me think of her. I believe she said she was the first in her small rural Canadian community to have a car. She has been with the Lord for nearly 18 years now.

Mrs. Smith said...

Hello Esther! I am so glad that you stopped by for a visit! You must miss your mom very much. I bet she had a lot of interesting stories to share from her day. Thank you so much for your comment and I hope that you have a very happy new year!

Anonymous said...

What a delightful post! Simply loved every bit of it! Simpler times - we were still innocent . . . to some degree . . .
Great images - you put so much work into collecting them all. Thank you!!
Joy!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Oh! Have you seen my new venture and the new blog I'm hosting - a home school must! Check out my activities as 1/6th of "Miss Stella" at www.constellationacademyhsrn.blogspot.com

Joy!
Kathy

Mrs. Smith said...

Kathryn, thank you so much for letting me know--I am looking forward to checking it out--I always enjoy your writing so much! Glad you liked the post.

Pam said...

Such interesting information and wonderful pictures Mrs. Smith. Thank you for sharing.

Mrs. Smith said...

Thank you, Pam! It is good to know that you enjoyed it.

Grandma Linda's Daydreams said...

Pam, I just loved the journey back 100 years! Fabulous photos, wonderful ads, fascinating history! My boyfriend sells auto ads, and he found them quite interesting! Sometimes I wish we could go back to simpler times, but there is still so much good in people and our lives nowadays. May you be blessed this bright New Year!

Mrs. Smith said...

Linda, I know what you mean because I sometimes wish we could go back in time too. The grass looks greener on the other side of the century in some ways.

I hope your new year is blessed too. Thank you for such a nice comment.

Jacqueline said...

Hello, Mrs. Smith!! I have a post of similar things in the making. LOL Brilliant minds think alike :) The artwork IS gorgeous, I agree. This is the first time to see your lovely blog, and I am excited that you shared with us here at Deep Roots At Home. I would be honored if you would consider being a regular contributor.

Mrs. Smith said...

Jacqueline, thank you so much! I am honored and I look forward to reading your post!

Little Birdie Blessings said...

What fun to read through this post. Such simpler times, so different then. Technology changes, demographics change, but people are still the same. Thanks for sharing all this. ~ Abby

Mrs. Smith said...

Hey there, Abby. Great to see you here today! God bless!

Anonymous said...

This was absolutely fascinating, I read every word, studied each picture, just so very interesting to see how things were 100 years ago - thanks for putting this together! Hugs ~ Mary

Cathy said...

What a lovely blog you have here! I really enjoyed reading through this post.

How things have changed in the last 100 years! I love the dresses, wish they were in fashion today.

Glad I stopped by. I'm your newest follower. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...